We’re getting Powerade! Information session liveblog after jump
Georgetown just sent out a message saying that the food poisoning is caused by the Norovirus, a contagious virus spread through oral and fecal contact.Georgetown is going to start a big cleaning regimen:
Immediately, student residence halls are being cleaned with a specific focus on common areas and high contact surfaces such as bathrooms, doorknobs, and handrails. Common gathering areas including Yates Field House, McDonough Arena, the Leavey Center will also be cleaned, as well as bathrooms and high contact surfaces in academic and administrative buildings.
It’s also spread by hand-to-hand contact. In June, a health inspection found that Leo’s had inadequate handwashing facilities for employees. According to the report, that problem was resolved. Georgetown says it’s going to continue normal operation, with a focus on cleaning. The message also encourages everyone to frequently wash their hands.
Norovirus apparently hits cruise ships a lot, according to Professor Joseph Timpone, a professor of Infectious Diseases at the Medical Center. I’m at the information session, so I’ll post updates as they occur.
Information Session UPDATES: Todd Olson says the new number is 175 students. Only 3 in emergency room, 2 in student health center.
- Leo’s is open tonight.
- Any student who has missed class or assignment from being sick will be excused. Get in touch with your dean.
- Georgetown’s setting up a call center for parents. 1-800-208-5167. I guess it’s for calling to complain that your student is sick or could’ve been. For families with sick students: 202-444-3895
- Dr. Timpone is up saying everyone should wash their hands. Norovirus causes all kinds of miserable nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea.
- People whose roommates have the virus and got splashed with vomit can easily get sick. Clean up! Use bleach.
- Degioia’s here! Timpone says don’t be upset if you get sick, the disease will pass in a few days. Just stay hydrated.
- I’m kind of surprised DeGioia’s here, considering how awful students were treated last night at that Grill.
- Question and answer time! Olson says he’s not familiar with the possible Leo’s handwashing connection. No word on whether you get to skip midterms, talk to your dean.
- Someone from Solidarity is asking about employees getting sick, good point. Todd says he doesn’t think any workers got sick.
- Todd says we’re getting lot of Powerade and hand sanitizers!
- Students who have vomit damage in their room should call work management at 202-687-3432. I guess they’ll help now, unlike yesterday.
- People who have already been infected won’t catch it again.
- Hoho,Georgetown email’s out while the University’s sending out email messages? What a mess!
- The Assistant VP for Student Health is saying they might never identify the source of the virus. Aw.
- and that’s it