Pizza baked in its box starts fire in Georgetown’s Harbin Hall
On Wednesday night, a fire broke out in the eighth floor common room of Harbin Hall.
According to Lt. Reynolds of the D.C. Fire Department, the fire began in the oven when someone tried to heat up a pizza without taking it out of the box.
Around 6:45 p.m., Harbin Hall was immediately evacuated and the D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services responded to the scene.
“I was watching TV in my room when the alarm went off. I actually thought it was part of what I was watching,” said Kerry Ryan (COL ’13). “I heard people saying that it smelled in their common room.”
Students gathered outside and waited on the patio as a DPS officer guarded the entrance. At around 7:10 p.m., residents were allowed to return.
Photo by Jackson Perry.