Freeman named Big East Preseason Player of the Year, Hoyas picked to finish 4th
Freeman, who averaged 16.5 points per game last season, was chosen through a vote of Big East men’s basketball coaches. Senior point guard Chris Wright was also selected to the preseason All-Big East second team.
This is the sixth time a Georgetown basketball player has earned the preseason award; Roy Hibbert and Alonzo Mourning each won it once, while Patrick Ewing won it three times in the mid-1980s.
Georgetown was picked to finish fourth in the Big East by a vote of conference coaches. Syracuse, Villanova, and Pittsburgh are expected to finish above the Hoyas. The men’s team will kick off its 2010-2011 season on November 12 at Old Dominion. (The first home game will be November 15 against Tulane at 7 p.m.)
We’ll check in with the women’s basketball team tomorrow during part two of Big East media day.
Preseason All-Big East first team:
- Austin Freeman, Georgetown (Player of the Year), G, Sr., 6-3 ½, 227, Mitchellville, Md.
- Kemba Walker, Connecticut, G, Jr., 6-1, 172, Bronx, N.Y.
- Ashton Gibbs, Pittsburgh, G, Jr., 6-2, 190, Scotch Plains, N.J.
- Jeremy Hazell, Seton Hall, G, Sr., 6-5, 188, Bronx, N.Y.
- Corey Fisher, Villanova, G, Sr., 6-1, 200, Bronx, N.Y.
- Kevin Jones, West Virginia, F, Jr., 6-8, 255, Mount Vernon, N.Y.
- Chris Wright, Georgetown, G, Sr., 6-1, 208, Washington, D.C.
- Jimmy Butler, Marquette, F, Sr., 6-7, 220, Tomball, Texas
- Tim Abromaitis, Notre Dame, F, Sr., 6-8, 235, Unionville, Conn.
- D.J. Kennedy, St. John’s, G/F, Sr., 6-5, 214, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Kris Joseph, Syracuse, F, Jr., 6-7, 207, Montreal, Quebec
Preseason Big East coaches’ poll:
- Pittsburgh (222)
- Villanova (208)
- Syracuse (187)
- Georgetown (173)
- West Virginia (164)
- St. John’s (145)
- Notre Dame (123)
- Louisville (121, tie)
- Marquette (121, tie)
- Connecticut (113)
- Seton Hall (104)
- Cincinnati (91)
- University of South Florida (54)
- Providence (36)
- Rutgers (32)
- DePaul (26)