BREAKING: Fire in Harbin Hall

Today, at approximately 7:45 p.m., Harbin Hall was evacuated after a fire broke out. The fire was caused by students cooking (Editor’s note: Cooking food) in the third floor common room.

According to Department of Public Safety officers at the scene, the fire did not set off the building’s sprinkler system, but firefighters brought fans into the building to dissipate the smoke. Students from all floors of the building were forced to leave, and the residents subsequently received an email from Ashley Kockler, the Harbin Hall Director, telling them that they would not be able to re-enter the building until 9:15 p.m. at the earliest.

Below is the email students received from Kockler.

Hi,

You may enter back into Harbin Hall no earlier than 9:15 p.m. on Monday, September 5th.

I appreciate all of your patience and understanding during this particular emergency.  I know we didn’t always have a lot of information, and you were all GREAT!

Please use this as a reminder that when the alarm goes off, it is not always a drill or a pull, and to ALWAYS exit the building in a safe and timely manner.

My best to you,
Ashley

Photo from Dumbo.

3 Comments on “BREAKING: Fire in Harbin Hall

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>