Breaking: Fire on third floor of Copley Hall, no injuries reported

Update at 7:13 p.m. According to Stacy Kerr, Director of Communications, some students living in Copley will be relocated and there was water damage to the building.

A fire broke out around 6 p.m. on the third floor of Copley Hall today. Jeffrey Herbert, the Battallion Fire Chief of D.C. Fire Department, was on duty to respond to the fire and confirmed that there were no injuries. Herbert said that the fire originated from food burning in a kitchen. Sprinklers were activated in the building.

According to some evacuated residents, smoke seemed to be originating from Fr. Kevin O’Brien’s, Chaplain-in-Residence at Copley Hall and Vice President for Mission and Ministry,¬†room.

Updates will continue as we learn more about the incident.

Photo and Reporting by Rachel Calvert

Correction: An error was made in the original post titling Fr. O’Brien as Executive Director for Campus Ministry. He is in fact Vice President for Mission and Ministry.

One Comment on “Breaking: Fire on third floor of Copley Hall, no injuries reported

  1. Fr. O’Brien is Vice President for Mission and Ministry. Fr. Pat Rogers is the Executive Director of Campus Ministry.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>