Remix Your Weekend: D.C. Meat week, events, and concert listings
Vox presents the revamped Remix Your Weekend, an end-of-week events listing for Georgetown and the greater District. See full listings after the jump. This week, Vox‘s featured event is D.C Meat Week. Going forward, sporting events will also be listed.
Featured Event: D.C. Meat Week 2013
“Eat Meat. Repeat” is the slogan of this week-long nationwide event that features seven different barbecue restaurants in eight nights, from Jan. 27 through Feb. 3.
This weekend’s events include BBQ Food Truck Face-Off, a new addition to D.C. Meat Week, in which four trucks cook two meats and two sides that vary from truck to truck. For $49, attendees will receive a “passport” that allows them to try all the dishes in addition to three PBRs.
While Saturday night’s event at Kangaroo Boxing Club is sold out, meat-lovers can still get some BBQ at Mr. P’s Ribs and Fish on the last day of the event. Fate Pittman (Mr. P) has owned the food truck since 1972 and enjoys the extra customers Meat Week brings.
“I just bought a little bit of extra meat,” he told the Vox in an interview. “I think it’s nice … My business is a lot better.”
For any newcomers planning to venture out to any of these events, the coordinators even created a Guide to Meat Week traditions.
Vegetarians and vegans don’t have to miss out on the fun. The Meat Week webpage says some sides are vegetarian. You veggie lovers can also look forward to Veg Week (Apr. 22 – 28).
- D.C. Meat Week—Friday: BBQ Food Truck Face-Off, 918 F St. NW, 6 p.m., $49; Sunday: Mr. P’s Ribs & Fish, 514 Rhode Island Ave. NE, 12 p.m.
- Discussion with Maya Angelou—National Museum of the American Indian, Friday (6:30 p.m.), free
- 40 under 40: Craft Futures—Renwick Gallery, ongoing, free. Voice review.
- Ai Weiwei: According to What?—Hirshhorn Museum, ongoing, free.
- BOGED: An Enemy of the People—Davis Performing Arts Center Gonda Theatre, Friday (12:00 p.m., 8:00 p.m.), Saturday (8:00 p.m.), Sunday (3:00 p.m., 7:30 p.m.) Voice review.
- Men’s Basketball, Georgetown vs. St. John’s—Verizon Center, Saturday, 4:00 p.m.
- Danny and the Dark (Rock)—Epicurean, 8:00 p.m., free
- Redline Addiction (Rock)—Bayou (2519 Pennsylvania Ave. NW), 10:00 p.m., free; Hurricane Sandy Benefit
- The Kid Congo Powers Hour, Alex Minoff, The Ar-Kaics, DJ Baby Alcatraz, DJ Cocobuttons (Rock)—Black Cat (1811 14th St. NW), 9:00 p.m., $12
- Bobby Messano (Rock)—Hill Country Live (410 7th St. NW), 9:30 p.m., free
- H2O, Terror, Backtrack, Code Orange Kids (Rock)—Rock & Roll Hotel (1353 H St. NE), 9:30 p.m., free
- The Charlie Bucket Project, The Asylees, The Nice Trys (Rock)—Velvet Lounge (915 U St. NW), 9:30 p.m., free
- Sly 45 (Jazz)—Acre 121 (1400 Irving St. NW), 9 p.m., free
- Jessica Boykin-Settles with Allyn Johnson (Jazz)—Twins Jazz (1344 U St. NW), 8:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m., $16
- We Fought the Big One (DJ Nights)—Marx Café (3203 Mt. Pleasant St. NW), free
- Villains with DJs xiao yang and Skim (DJ Nights)—Rock & Roll Hotel (1353 H St. NE), 9:30 p.m., free
- Alexi Delano, Connie, Jubilee (Electronic)—U Street Music Hall (1115 U St. NW), 10:00 p.m., $10
- Brett, MISUN, People in Cars, DJs OMG and Shamwell (Electronic)—DC9 (1940 9th St. NW), 9:00 p.m., $10
- Ideal Forms, Sunwolf, Very Americans (Rock)—Comet Ping Pong (5037 Connecticut Ave. NW), 10:00 p.m., $10
- The Morrison Brothers Band (Rock)—Acre 121 (1400 Irving St. NW), 9:00 p.m., free
- Sockets Records Showcase with Deleted Scenes, Hume, Imperial China, Buildings (Rock)—Black Cat (1811 14th St. NW), 9:00 p.m., $12-$15
- Buke and Gase, Ahleuchatistas, Oh So Peligroso (Rock)—DC9 (1940 9th St. NW), 9:00 p.m., $10
- Luray, Justin Trawick, Hatfield McCoy (Rock)—Rock & Roll Hotel (1353 H St. NE), $10
- Kris Bowers (Jazz)—Kennedy Center Terrace Gallery (2700 F St. NW), 7:30 p.m. & 9:30 p.m., $16
- Jessica Boykin-Settles with Allyn Johnson (Jazz)—Twins Jazz (1344 U St. NW), 8:00 p.m. & 10:00 p.m., $16
- Fatlip, Slimkid3, J. Sw!ft, L.A. Jay (Hip-Hop)—Howard Theatre (620 T St. NW), 8:00 p.m., $20- $25
- Price, Footwerk, Danny Ocean, 3Strikes (Hip-Hop)—Velvet Lounge (915 U St. NW), 9:30 p.m., $8
- Latin Rock with DJ Luis (DJ Nights)—Marx Café (3203 Mt. Pleasant St. NW), free
- Moon/Bounce Dancing Affair (DJ Nights)—Black Cat Backstage (1811 14th St. NW), 10:00 p.m., $7
- Pop Off with DJ Micah Vellian (DJ Nights)—Rock & Roll Hotel (1353 H St. NE), 9:30 p.m., free
- Luca Bacchetti, George K., Raffi (Electronic)—U Street Music Hall (1115 U St. NW), 10:00 p.m., $10
- Warm Bodies- 10:00 a.m., 12:30, 3:00, 5:30, 8:00, 10:45 p.m.
To list your event on Remix Your Weekend, email Vox at email@example.com before Thursday evening with “Remix Your Weekend” in the subject line .
Photo: Chad Miller via Flickr