Postgame Roundup: Hoyas trounce Longwood

DSC_0043The No. 15 Georgetown men’s basketball team (8-1, 0-0 Big East) defeated Longwood (2-7, 0-0 Big South) in blowout fashion Monday Night at the Verizon Center, 89-53, improving their winning streak to five games.

In a manner contrary to their past few games, the Hoyas played a complete game on both ends of the floor. Overall, the team shot an effective 53 percent from the field.  Sophomore forward Otto Porter Jr. led the way for the Hoyas with a career-high 22 points, shooting an efficient 8-of-11 from the field. Porter also dished out seven assists, another career-high.

Junior guard Markel Starks had a good game as well, with 17 points on 6-of-9 shooting, including 4-of-5 from three-point land. Otherwise, Georgetown’s scoring was relatively balanced, with five other players scoring at least six points.

“It’s good that the ball went in the basket today,” said Head Coach John Thompson III. “Most of the looks we got were wide open shots.”

The Georgetown defense, especially their full-court press, created many problems for the Longwood offense. The Hoyas forced 30 Lancer turnovers, the most forced by the Hoyas since they forced 32 against Elon on Dec. 13, 2003. Georgetown took advantage of the ample turnovers with many easy baskets, illustrated by their 50 points in the paint, 47 points off of turnovers, and 18 fast-break points.

“I thought our full-court defense, pressure, and presses were very effective,” Thompson noted. “Our pressure definitely affected Longwood in the half-court as well as the full-court.”

Despite the convincing scoreline, the Hoyas found room for concern, as they were inexplicably outrebounded by a much shorter Longwood team, 30-22.

“It’s always a concern when you’re outrebounded, so it’s not something that we’re going to put our head in the sand and pretend like it didn’t happen,” Thompson said. “We have to address that.”

After a Longwood layup to start the game, the Hoyas responded with a 9-0 scoring run, mainly off multiple inside layups.  They maintained a significant lead for much of the first half, though they would blow the game open late in the half.

With 4:18 remaining in the half, the Blue and Gray went on another 9-0 run to make the score 38-18.  Porter led the charge with an outside jumper and an emphatic dunk following a steal from Starks.  The bulk of the streak occurred in a 43-second span after a timeout with 3:30 left in the half.

In the first four minutes of the second half, Georgetown continued to expand its advantage as a result of 17-5 run.  In that span, Porter recorded five points and Starks posted eight points including a pair of three-pointers.

With the extended lead, Thompson then began to consistently play his bench including sophomore Moses Ayegba, and freshmen Stephen Domingo and D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera.  Domingo showed his scoring ability as he totaled seven points in the half, while Ayegba displayed some grit with a strong performance on the glass.

“Moses rebounded well, which was something that we need,” Thompson said.  “I think it’s a situation where guys are going to be ready once they get in.”

Coach John Thompson III was finally able to relax toward the end of a game with the large victory margin, as all active players on the Georgetown roster got to see some playing time, including student-section favorites junior forward John Caprio and freshman guard David Allen.

“We look for that every game,” said Thompson. “I’m glad how things turned out for us.”

Reporting by Keith Levinsky and Joe Pollicino

Photo: Miles Gavin Meng, from Towson game.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>